Nick Jr.

MTV Networks, Inc.

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Educational Learning for Toddlers : Week Two

New Words for Week Two are:  BAT, MY, LOG


Combine these 3 new words with last weeks words CAT and DOG.

Remember to refer back to Week One for refreshing your memory on some of these projects we made in that week.

Supplies Needed for Learning Projects:
    Index Cards, Child's First Book, Foam Book, Foam Letters


Child's First Book:
  1. Make sure to write 3 new sentences in your Child's First Book.
  2. For the word MY, I wrote:  I Love/  I Love My/  I Love My T-Rex (or any other dinosaur, my daughter's favorite is Parasaurolophus and she can read it every time.)
  3. For the word BAT, I wrote: I Hit/ I Hit The Ball/ I Hit The Ball With My Bat.
  4. For the word LOG, I wrote: My Mom/ My Mom Sat/ My Mom Sat On A Log.
  5. Remember to leave enough room for pictures.
  6. Make sure you keep going back to read the first two pages to them too.
  7. I found at Target in the office supply section an early creative story tablet called the Primary Journal. By Mead.  You could also use this book for a book too.  There is a spot on top of each page for pictures.  I like the one I made because it was softer and the pages were thicker.

Index Cards Project:

  1. Write the words MY, BAT, LOG on index cards.
  2. One the other side glue a picture of that word or have your child draw one. 
  3. When you show the picture to your child have them say and spell the word.
  4. Remember you can also put the words on index cards to tape them up around the house.
  5. You can laminate them too.
  6. Putting your cards on a ring, help to keep them all together.
Key-chain Index Cards:
  • Don't forget to write the 3 new words on your key-chain cards.
Remember To Keep Teaching Your Child Their Words Everywhere You Go.

Teaching Your Child To Write Words:
  • You can log onto this website, to print out pages to help your child with their writing skills.
  • It takes time for your child to learn how to write, so please be patient.
  • Write the words down and have your child trace over the top of them.
  • Have them try to write them on their own.

Little Foam Books:
  • On your second little foam books, glue or stick the foam letters that spell this weeks words.
  • Write My on first page, Bat on second page, Log on third page and repeat. 
  • Your child should now have 2 little foam books, week 1 and week 2.
Great Starter Books:

Remember to see if your child can find their words they are learning in the books you read. Anytime you come across any of their words make sure to point it out to them so they can help read.


 Great ways to have fun learning:

  •  Scrabble Junior: Buy Scrabble Junior Cheez-It crackers by Sunshine.  Pick out the letters you need for your five words and have your child spell out the different words they are learning.
  • Go Fish: Cut out playing size cards out of card stock or heavy scrap paper.  Some heavy scrap paper have nice designs on them. Write each letter from the 5 words on each card.  You can now play a short game of Go Fish! After each week your pile of cards should grow bigger.
  • Refrigerator Fun: Write each letter from the 5 words and glue them onto a piece of cardboard.  Place a magnet on the back of each cardboard piece and stick them to fridge.
  • Hide and Seek Letters:
  1.    Write each letter onto a post-it note and stick them up around the house and then let your child try to find the letters he needs for each word. 
  2.  Try to get them to find a letter that's starts a word.  For instance:  They need to find the C in cat or the B in bat. 
  3.  Once they find the first letter they must then spell that word.
  4.   They continue searching around the house for the next letter like a in cat or bat. And so on.


Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: